The fruiting energy of summer!
Of the ten thousand trees
Along the banks of the river
The apricots have just come into flower
In the wind of a night
Summer is the season of bright light, heat, activity and abundance. Nature invites us to come and play in the garden of life! Long, hot days and the abundance of fruit entice us to feel the support of our world and the call to thrive and bask in health and well-being. Numerous health studies indicate that this vital connection to nature is beneficial to us physically emotionally and mentally.
Balancing Summer Foods
- *zucchini, broccoli, leafy vegetables, celery, green beans, and fennel root) are all bitter and astringent
- *Lighter dairy products that are sweet (milk, and ghee – clarified butter)
- *Quinoa, basmati rice and barley, grains that are light and neutral (in acidity)
- *Grapes, pomegranates, melons, limes and fruits that are sweet, cooling and neutral
- *Coconut products (water, milk, meat, sugar)
- *Mung beans, tofu, and lean white meats and fish)
- *Cooling spices and herbs, such as fennel seed, coriander, cilantro, cardamom, mint, and turmeric and aloe juice
Cooling, calming, and slightly dry
May you feel and absorb the energy of this season in every way that feeds and nourishes you! May you thrive and flourish!
Shanti Shanti Peace and Blessings, Debbie
The Season of Heat
To keep cool (especially if you tend to run hot) consider trying the following:
- *Avoid the heat of the day (12-3pm)
- *Wear light colors to reflect the light
- *use a straw hat to keep the head cool, and the delicate tissues of the face and neck protected (apply sunscreen to protect the body)
- *Expose the eyes and skin to the early morning light
- *Choose cooling physical activity especially water play (swimming)
- *Take walks under the light of the moon
- *Avoid spicy hot foods
- Sip coconut water or fruit water (cut up fruit into water), and Drink room temperature or cool water
- *take short naps
- *Take cool baths and showers
- *eat light, cool, and watery foods
- *massage the skin with coconut oil scented with cooling peppermint essential oil
- *Avoid overextending or scheduling, increase play and down-time
A cooling refreshing drink that will calm irritable and overheated moods
3 cups of water
¼ cup lime juice (2-3 limes)
1/3 tsp. cardamom powder
1 tbsp. coconut sugar dissolved in 1 tbsp. hot water
Mix together all the ingredients in a small pitcher or 32 oz. glass.
Serve in 2 tall glasses that are chilled or place juice in the refrigerator to slightly chill.
Enjoy and savor the coolness!
Intentional Yoga Summer Moves
Breath of Cooling Green
Find a safe and quiet space in nature where you can take a small circular walk barefoot in the grass. As you breathe allow your feet to step feeling all the sensations in your feet and body. Imagine breathing the energy of the earth through your feet and up through the body and out of the crown of the head. As thoughts come to mind, acknowledge then and detach, allowing them to drift away as if they were fluffy clouds in the most beautiful summer sky. Come back to the sensations of the breath and the body. Enjoy this meditative and connecting walk for at least 5 minutes.